140 Years Ago - 1884
Prof. I.D. Barnes, a former principal of the Damascus Union Academy, was recently married to Miss Hattie Armstrong of Cochecton, one of his pupils.
The first postal …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
9/10/24
|
Cushetunk, the first permanent European settlement in the Upper Delaware region, part of which would later become Sullivan County, was established in the 1750s by a group of farmers from eastern …
more
John Conway
|
9/6/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
B.P. Davis, formerly of Jeffersonville and now of Canesto where he is employed by Baker and Vandelinder, manufacturers of farm and spring wagons, came to the village last …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
9/3/24
|
As it has for each of the past several years, Bagel Fest recently brought throngs of people to Broadway in Monticello, recreating some of the energy of days gone by, when such throngs were …
more
John Conway
|
8/30/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
The exact distance between the villages of Jeffersonville and that of Youngsville, given by L. Hannar, Mr. Roboms and Adam Homer, is just four miles from the Eagle Hotel in …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
8/27/24
|
It was early in 1782, and the Revolutionary War had been raging for seven long years when 21-year-old Deborah Sampson disguised herself as a man named Robert Shurtleff and enlisted in the Fourth …
more
John Conway
|
8/23/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Henry DeWitt of this village has given his home a coat of paint which added neatly to its appearance.
George R. Trusdell (the dentist) will be as usual at …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
8/20/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
J.P. Bogardus of this village has a magnificent garden, especially a fine display of that aesthetic plant, the sunflower.
H.W. Wood, our stage driver, has a horse in …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
8/13/24
|
When the Cushetunk settlement was established along the upper Delaware River in the mid-1750s by a group of farmers from eastern Connecticut, two brothers, Simon and John Calkin, were among the …
more
John Conway
|
8/9/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
George Wood brought into the Sullivan County Record office last Monday, an oat head which measured fourteen inches and had one hundred and six well developed kernels on it. …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
8/6/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
The contract for rebuilding the old red bridge in Jeffersonville was let on Saturday last to the lowest bidder, who was Oliver Hofer. The price is $290.
The Sunday News …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
7/30/24
|
In his 1945 essay about the village of Monticello, Adelbert M. Scriber, Sullivan County’s first official County Historian, wrote about the many changes that had taken place in the village since …
more
John Conway
|
7/26/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Twenty cans of milk are now shipped from Liberty to New York City daily.
The National Union Bank of Monticello has declared a semi-annual dividend of three percent.
…
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
7/23/24
|
Dan Myers says the Battle of Minisink is very personal to him.
His fourth great-grandfather, also named Daniel Myers, fought in the battle on the desolate Barryville hilltop on July 22, 1779 and …
more
John Conway
|
7/19/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Tusten Lodge #467, I.O.O.F., will hold their second annual picnic in the beautiful Delaware Park at Narrowsburg, Sullivan County, on Thursday, July 26.
Eel fishing is …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
7/16/24
|
It used to be a well-kept secret that Cushetunk, the first European settlement in the Upper Delaware River Valley, was populated mostly by Tories in the years immediately preceding and during the …
more
John Conway
|
7/12/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
The Fourth in Jeffersonville — It is fitting and right for the people of Jeffersonville, who live in the village named after the author of the glorious Declaration of …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
7/9/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
It is reported on good authority that a $50 counterfeit bill is circulating in this vicinity. We therefore duly notify our patrons and subscribers that nothing higher than …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
7/2/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Your correspondent “C” falls into an error in regard to the name of our village and his error is so common that I will endeavor to set him and the general public …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
6/25/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
A week ago as Mrs. William Hessinger, near Callicoon, was boiling soft soap, their oldest child, a two-year-old girl, drank some of the strong lye from the basin, unknown to …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
6/18/24
|
In June of 1896, the face of Sullivan County was changed forever, as the Loomis Memorial Sanitarium for Consumptives just outside Liberty admitted its first 12 patients.
The original five …
more
John Conway
|
6/14/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Last Saturday night, somebody took great pains in completely daubing a new lumber wagon with black paint, which stood in the street opposite the barber shop in …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
6/11/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Hank Smith is the funniest looking object we have seen in a long time. A hurricane seems to have blown his mustache clean off.
If anybody wants to see a McDonell …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
6/4/24
|
Decoration Day, Tuesday, May 30, 1939, turned out to be a day Melvin Holt and George Dubner, two boys from Brooklyn vacationing with their families in Loch Sheldrake, would never forget.
Holt …
more
John Conway
|
5/31/24
|
140 Years Ago - 1884
Long Eddy — Vegetation in this section had a very hard struggle with the frost on May 28. Leaves and blossoms on chestnut and butternut trees were all killed and those …
more
Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
|
5/28/24
|