Log in Subscribe
Down the Decades

November 16, 2021 Edition

Ruth Huggler
Posted 11/16/21

110 Years Ago – 1911

A week ago last night, at the conclusion of the trial of Mrs. Martin Clancy, who was arrested on the instigation of her husband on a peace warrant. Justice Starck …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in
Down the Decades

November 16, 2021 Edition

Posted

110 Years Ago – 1911

A week ago last night, at the conclusion of the trial of Mrs. Martin Clancy, who was arrested on the instigation of her husband on a peace warrant. Justice Starck decided that the testimony warranted him in holding her under a $2,000 bail bond to hereafter keep the peace. After the trial, Mr. and Mrs. Clancy went home together and are now living as serenely as ever, according to the directions.
The young horse belonging to Charles Rueffer of Mileses got loose in the barn one night last week and ate a quantity of feed from which it died. This is the second horse Mr. Reuffer has lost in the same manner in a short time.
The Busy Bee Club is making continuous effort to give Callicoon street lights and according to all indications they will succeed in their endeavor. Along with a petition being passed around is an outline of the lighting district as drawn up by the club which includes the whole village. The proposition is an excellent one and means the expenditure on the part of the club of $800 or more for the purchase of the lights, which it is expected will be of the gasoline variety.
St. Tammany Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star will be instituted at Callicoon Friday night, November 10, by the District Deputy Grand Matron, and it is expected there will be a large number of visiting Stars and Masons present.
The Halloween party given by Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Halladay at their home in Callicoon on Tuesday evening was a grand success with about forty of their friends partaking of the hospitality. No expense or pains was spared to make it one continuous road of pleasure and surprises. Prizes for playing whist were won by Mrs. Charles H. Young, a beautiful embroidered apron; Mrs. George Sawyer carried away the booby prize, a miniature jack-o-lantern. First prize for the gentlemen, a necktie holder, was won by George Wiesner; Charles H. Young took the booby prize.
A daughter was born recently to Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Maltby of Hurd.
Dr. G.L. Cade of Galilee, PA., agent of the state livestock sanitary board, recently visited the farm of William Ransom of Maplewood where hog cholera was supposed to be prevalent. No cholera was found.

100 Years Ago – 1921

These items are missing from our files.

90 Years Ago – 1931

Two Hortonville couples decided during the past weekend that two could live just as cheaply as one and were married by Rev. John Straub at the Callicoon Center parsonage.
Joseph Under and Miss Gladys D. Buddenhagen, both of Hortonville, were married Saturday evening, October 31. They were attended by her brother, Herman, and his sister, Mrs. Harry Wahl…William Rosenberger and Helen Kautz were attended by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Kautz of Kenoza Lake as they were married Sunday at noon. They will take a wedding trip to Niagara Falls.
Thomas Bennedum of Hortonville recently returned from a hunting expedition to Nova Scotia. He is having the head of a 44-inch moose rack mounted and will have it on exhibition at his home soon.
Sullivan County realized a gain of more than 2,000 in the 1930 census over that of 1920. It is reported that 12,180 are living on farms and 16,215 are registered as village dwellers. In 1920 Sullivan had three Indians living here, all of whom were lone when the 1930 census was taken.
Born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles J. Fisher of Hortonville, a son, Harry, Thursday, October 29.

80 Years Ago – 1941

County elections Tuesday resulted in the election of Harry Borden as Sheriff; Mrs. Margaret Engert, Welfare Commissioner; J. Bruce Lindsley as County Clerk and Benjamin Newberg, Special County Judge. Borden was the only Democrat elected in the Republican sweep. Walter C. Weiss was elected supervisor in the town of Callicoon by one vote. Lawrence R. Milk was returned to office by a large majority.
Mrs. Richard Schrumpf and infant daughter, Judith Ann, were discharged from the Callicoon Hospital on Sunday.
Grace, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edw. Bauernfeind of North Branch, and Herman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Karl Wagner of Callicoon, Damascus Township, PA., were married at the Callicoon Center parsonage on November 2.
Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. August Merkenschlager who were married October 26 at the Presbyterian manse. — Cochecton Corresp.
Lone Troop No. 1 Girl Scouts of Cochecton had a grand time at the Callicoon rally last Wednesday evening. Roscoe captured first place and Cochecton came in a close second. Those on the First Aid team were Delores Sauer, Beverly Page, Elvira Wormuth, Gladys Ehrle, Gladys Heib and Betty Coe.
A powerful and impressive sermon by District Superintendent Dr. George McDonald marked the service of rededication of the Callicoon Methodist Church Hall last Sunday. The Junior Choir sang a processional and special selections were offered by them and Mr. and Mrs. Stewart Mudge who sang a vocal duet. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Starck Jr. and Mrs. and Mrs. Fred Starck Sr. were received into membership, having transferred from the Methodist Church in Liberty and Monticello respectively.

70 Years Ago – 1951

Mr. and Mrs. John Davis of Milanville celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at their home on October 28.
August Merkenschlager was re-elected supervisor in the Town of Cochecton. Democrats retained control of the county Board of Supervisors with all supervisors returned to office.
Mr. and Mrs. Harold Vanatta of Damascus, PA., announce the engagement of their daughter, Betty, to Orvin Hartman of Honesdale. November 25 has been set as the wedding date.
The Town of Fremont came into existence on November 1, 1851, when it was created by dividing the Town of Callicoon — the west half becoming Fremont. Previous to the creation of the Town of Callicoon in 1842, it was part of the Town of Liberty. Records show that John Hankins, a resident of Fremont, had been active in the affairs of the Town of Liberty. A brief history of the town shows that the first settler was, according to Quinlan’s record, an Isaac Simmons who settled at Hankins in 1780. When the Erie Railroad seemed a sure thing, there was a big boom in real estate in the town. Hankins was the railroad station serving the Town of Rockland and a registry shows many famous names of those coming to fish for trout in the already popular Beaverkill. In 1849, a tannery was started in Fremont by Charles W. Miles, Benjamin C. Miles and Carlos P. Holcomb. Known as Miles­ville, the town finally became known as Mileses. In 1855 a post office was established at Long Eddy and a ferry was organized to carry traffic over the river from the Pennsylvania side. In 1856 a Mr. Taylor built a railroad station at his own expense.
The cattle truck of Stanley Baker, loaded with eight calves and two cows, broke through the bridge which crosses the Fremont Brook to the Harold Bjorklund farm yesterday afternoon. One cow drowned and was swept downstream so swiftly in the swollen current that the carcass has not yet been recovered.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Crown of Callicoon RD are the parents of a son born Monday.

60 Years Ago – 1961

Mr. and Mrs. Francis Ostrander of Callicoon RD 2 have announced the engagement of their daughter, Charlotte Lillian, to Richard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hans Schellberg of North Branch.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph D. McCoach of Fosterdale celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last Sunday at home with family and friends.
The remains of a craft hollowed out of a log and thought to be at least 200 years old, was recently dredged out of Mud Pond near Tennanah Lake. There is some question as to why Indians or settlers would have a craft on this comparatively small body of water when big Tennanah Lake is only one-quarter mile away. It is speculated that the pond was once part of the larger body, which is about 1 1/2 miles in length.
Dave Bult, son of Rev. and Mrs. Peter Bult of North Branch, was second highest scorer as Orange County Community College rolled over Napanoch Prison, 93-57. Dave scored 20 points.
A daughter was born Saturday at the Callicoon Hospital to Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Nober Jr. of Kenoza Lake.
Mrs. Anna Schuster of River Road, Callicoon, celebrated the 50th anniversary of her American citizenship with a “Kaffee Klatsch” on November 3. The decorations included “Old Glory” atop a large cake with small flags in the favors used for the occasion.
Mrs. Millicent Flynn, county clerk, became a grandmother with the birth of a daughter, Patricia Ann, born Friday to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Flynn Jr. of Liberty.

50 Years Ago – 1971

Richard Johnson, 17, of Callicoon was the hero of the day November 6 when he warned the occupants of a station wagon, stuck on the railroad crossing in Callicoon, of an approaching train, and urged them to leave the vehicle just seconds before a westbound freight completely demolished the car.
The DVCS football team closed out the 1971 season with a smashing victory over Honesdale, 30-6. Their only loss for the season was a non-league opener against Lakeland, PA., making them Western Sullivan League champions.
Dan Naughton has been elected president of a snowmobile club organized in Callicoon Center on October 16. Don Schmidt will be vice president: John Gempler, secretary; and Sue Naughton, treasurer.
The newest toy store in western Sullivan County has been opened in Long Eddy at Ginger’s Country Store.
Twins, a boy named Neftaly and a girl named Nataly, were born November 1 to Mr. and Mrs. Felix Collado of Jeffersonville, at the Liberty-Loomis Hospital.
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Shaara of Jeffersonville celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this week.
Miss Nancy Theadore has been appointed Public Health Nurse in the Sullivan County Public Health Nursing Service. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Theadore of Roscoe, RD 2.

40 Years Ago – 1981

Susan VanDeLinde, daughter of William C. and Kathryn D. VanDeLinde of Milanville, PA., became the bride of Michael J. Krug, son of William C. Krug Jr. and Grace T. Krug of Roscoe on August 22…Mr. and Mrs. Burgess Peters of Youngsville announce the engagement of their daughter, Bonnie May, to Robert William McKeen, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter McKeen of Jeffersonville. A spring wedding is planned… Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Gieger of Jeffersonville celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on November 1 at the Lake Jeff Hotel…Mrs. Dorothy Rampe of Callicoon has announced the engagement of her daughter, Susan, to James Nash, son of Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Nash of Neversink.
Mrs. Blanche Hector, formerly of Narrowsburg, now residing at Wesley Village, Pittston, PA., observed her 95th birthday on Sunday, November 1.
William C. Forsbach of Jeffersonville, a former Sullivan County Undersheriff, died Sunday, November 8, at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He was 67 and had only been ill a short time…Robert J. Grund of Cochecton Center, a dairy farmer, died Sunday, November 8, at the Wayne Memorial Hospital in Honesdale, PA.
Elizabeth Scheuer recently observed her 90th birthday on October 11. On the 21st of October, her husband, Edwin, had his 81st birthday. Both were born and raised in the Beechwoods area of Callicoon.
A standing-room-only crowd of more than 300 turned out Sunday to attend the formal dedication of the Ruth and Martin H. Bennett Residence for the Developmentally Disabled, situated at the comer of Lake and Carrier streets in Liberty. The building is the former Franklin Lake School for the Retarded which was created after the sale of Liberty Maimonides Hospital.
Ronny and Sheila Ostroff of Hurleyville celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary recently at the Woodbourne Firehouse.
Assemblyman Raymond F. Kisor (a former state trooper) and his fellow Assemblyman Stephen M. Saland say they have won a long battle with the State Department of Labor for less bulky bulletproof vests. They are prefiling legislature for the 1982 session to allow police more latitude in what they will or will not wear for protection and also to take authority for bulletproof vest design standards out of the Department of Labor and give it to the Division of Justice.
Bob Blais of Bethel has won the “Lunker of the Year” award from the First Bassmasters of Sullivan County with his 7 lb. 8 oz. largemouth bass…George Panchyshyn, brother of Sullivan County Democrat columnist Hank Panchyshyn, made his recent trip to Wyoming worthwhile. He shot a beautiful ten-point mule deer. George said that the deer fell 300 feet after it was shot, falling off a ledge. Fortunately it fell into some underbrush which protected the rack.
V. Edward Curtis of Callicoon has been named to head the Sullivan County International Airport in a part-time position. He will replace J.J. McGough.

30 Years Ago – 1991

Calling them an affront to the sensibilities of every Worid War II veteran who served in the Pacific Theater as well as in general, the commander of the American Legion in Sullivan County called for the removal of Japanese cherry trees from the Veterans Memorial in Monticello before November 11, Veterans Day. The cherry trees were planted in August by members of the Sullivan County Board of Supervisors, who were hosting a Japanese trade and goodwill mission to Sullivan County. They were to be a symbol of the good feeling and cooperation that is growing between Sullivan County and Toyama Prefecture in Japan. Government workers moved three Japanese cherry trees from plots near the Sullivan County Veterans Memorial to another part of the property, at the corner of Government Drive and North Street.
Over 50 people attended the reopening of the Lemon Tree in Jeffersonville. The business is owned by Kathy Werlau and Diane Kuebler.
The Delaware Valley Eagles clinched the Section IX Division V title Saturday with a convincing 48-0 defeat of the Tri-Valley Bears. The team led by only two touchdowns at the half but unleashed their potent offensive attack in the second half.

20 Years Ago – 2001

A Grahamsville tradition was renewed as usual on Saturday as the community gathered at the hamlet’s cemetery to witness the flag exchange and commemorate Veterans Day. The flag that was flying in honor of WWII veteran A. Oland Erath was lowered and given to his widow, Jessie, prior to taking the flag from Tillie Miller to raise in honor of her husband, the late Walter Miller, a veteran of WWII.
For the first time in its history, the New York Community College Trustees Association presented two of its top awards to one institution – Sullivan County Community College. The awards – the Distinguished Alumnus Award to Patrick Galloway and the Benefactor Vision for Tomorrow Award to Sandra Gerry – were presented at a reception on Wednesday at the Paul Grossinger Dining Room on the college campus.
Jill J. Strong and Russell A. Somers were married October 6, 2001, at the Church of the Nazarene in Rock Hill. The bride is the daughter of the late Robert P. and Mildred G. Decker, formerly of Roscoe. The groom’s parents are the late Charles A. and Ruth A. Somers, former residents of Monticello.

10 Years Ago – 2011

Dick and Marie Tremper of Surfside Beach, South Carolina, formerly of Rock Hill, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by renewing their vows. They were married June 17, 1961 at the Methodist Church in Port Jervis.
Carl Hentschel is reportedly the oldest person in Sullivan County – by about a month. He celebrated his 104th birthday recently in Glen Spey. Marie Zalesky of Callicoon is 26 days younger than Carl. Born in Breslau, Germany, Aug. 16, 1907, Carl immigrated to the United States with his parents under a farmworker visa, arriving at Ellis Island June 14, 1923, and lived in College Point, Queens. He retired as head of the elevator maintenance department at New York Life Insurance Co.
As part of a decade-long deal with the International Motor Press Association (IMPA), Monticello Motor Club hosted approximately 500 representatives from the world’s top automakers, suppliers and automotive journalists for a two-day annual event, Test Days. IMPA Test Days entered the next stage of its evolution with the move this year to Monticello Motor Club in Monticello from its previous location in the Poconos.
A champion of the arts in Sullivan County since 1976, the Delaware Valley Arts Alliance (DVAA) honored four outstanding contributors at its 35th Anniversary Gala. DVAA Executive Director Elaine Giguere thanked the many supporters of the arts for 35 years of unrivaled success, which has included the development of the Tusten Theater into a performance venue, the purchase and refurbishing of The Arlington Hotel into a gallery, offices and its Signature store, and the administering of a grant program which provides funding to a wide array of performing arts through the New York State Council on the Arts. Nearly 200 DVAA members and friends attended the awards ceremony at The Tusten Theater to show their support.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here