I discovered a variation on this recipe several years ago and have been making it ever since! This quick and easy weeknight meal comes together in just 30 minutes and is perfect for the cool nights …
I discovered a variation on this recipe several years ago and have been making it ever since! This quick and easy weeknight meal comes together in just 30 minutes and is perfect for the cool nights ahead.
It’s also incredibly versatile: substitute the kale for spinach, use sweet or hot sausage, or swap the potatoes for Cannellini beans. The possibilities are endless and the soup is delicious no matter how I alter it.
1 pound ground Italian sausage
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper
5 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 pound red potatoes, diced
3 cups kale, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, cook the Italian sausage over medium heat until browned, be sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Drain any excess fat that remains.
2. Add the garlic, onion, oregano, and basil to the pot. Cook for approximately three minutes, stirring frequently. If you like spice, you can also add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
3. Stir in the chicken broth and bay leaf, bringing the soup to a boil. Add the potatoes and continue to cook until the potatoes are soft.
4. Stir in the kale, allowing it to cook for a few minutes until it begins to wilt. Stir in milk and cook for an additional minute. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here