140 Years Ago - 1881
One of the romantic episodes of a two-week stay at a mountain summer resort is going berrying.
James Gray, who is a noted horse courier has been stopping at the …
140 Years Ago - 1881
One of the romantic episodes of a two-week stay at a mountain summer resort is going berrying.
James Gray, who is a noted horse courier has been stopping at the Jeffersonville House for a few days.
William Huff Jr. of Fremont and Carrie E. Neumann of Callicoon were married at the bride’s home on August 8th.
At the M.E. Parsonage in Jeffersonville on August 14th, Miss Sophie W. Gressler of Youngsville became the bride of F. Charles Smith of Albany.
Our town board, consisting of Fred Hessinger, supervisor; Charles A. Ranft, clerk; and Justices of the Peace J.C. Mall, N. Dycker and A.P. Bush, met by appointment on the 12th inst. and transacted some important business. We are glad to see them in our village.
The Liberty Normal Institute has been appointed as one of the academies in the county to instruct a teacher class during the fall term of the coming year, commencing August 29th.
Musical soirees are held at the Jeffersonville House nightly. Quite an audience assembles every time. It costs nothing.
W.F. Grishaber left in our office a potato vine 5 1/2 feet long. Who can beat that?
Why not encourage our Village Band by presenting them with new instruments and uniforms? Then if we wish them to play for the benefit of the village, they would be obliged to respect our wishes.
The oat crop now being gathered is the largest one which has been harvested for years. The horses can eat and grow fat this winter.
130 Years Ago - 1891
James Monroe of Stevensville is doing an extensive lumber business. He has two steam mills running and is turning out lots of good lumber.
Louis Schroeder of New York is spending his vacation in Youngsville. The tollman of the Liberty and White Lake Turnpike says that there is more travel over the turnpike now than since it was built five years ago.
Edward Brand has been engaged to teach in the principal department of our school and Philip Faubel in the primary department.
We learn that Julius Rose of New York, who is the son of Henry Rose of Jeffersonville, recently purchased the Royce lot on the hill near the Ross grist mill and also the lot adjoining W.P. Coventry on which the mineral water establishment is located. The price paid for the former lot is said to be $850 and on the latter, $325.
The subject of establishing a lake in Jeffersonville has been strongly discussed. The idea has been advanced to form a stock company and fix up the old company dam where the tannery used to be at the east end of the village. To that body of water shall then be added all that land along the bank of either side which would be sold in building lots for the erection of summer cottages around the lake.
The girl who went bathing in a calico cotton wrapper didn’t like it because it cottoned to her so.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ulrich of Briscoe on August 2nd.
Miss Mary E. Krantz became the bride of Valentine Hessinger on August 5th. Both are from Callicoon.
120 Years Ago - 1901
Miss Margaret Klein of Hancock has been engaged to teach the Kenoza Lake School for another year. Miss Carrie Weltsch of Swiss Hill will teach her home school this year and Joseph Myer of Jeffersonville will teach the Beechwoods school. Ed C. Neiger of Kenoza Lake has been engaged to teach the Lower Beechwoods School.
Jacob Yager of Jeffersonville is visiting his native town in Germany.
The schoolhouse in the Norris District near Liberty was burned about 9 o’clock Monday night.
Fred Lieb has sold his pony to George Douch recently of Hoboken, N.J. Douch will engage in the butcher business here.
Will Lawrence is engaged in constructing a new telephone line to Callicoon. The new line will run from Jeffersonville over the hill to Louis Mall’s and there cross-lots to Callicoon. The trolley poles which Lawrence bought at the sheriff’s sale are being used (Callicoon is now known as Callicoon Center).
The fourty boarders at Muller’s Breezy Hill Cottage in Youngsville held their annual lawn party on August 7th.
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. William Vehyl of Callicoon.
Jefferson Campbell, who is the proprietor of Campbell Inn at Roscoe, has had golf links laid out on the flat between the railroad and the Beaverkill bridge.
John Kautz is adding a large storeroom to his feed and flour establishment in Callicoon Depot. He is also building new scale sheds.
110 Years Ago - 1911
The floor of the Jeffersonville House barn gave way and five horses went down a depth of six feet, sustaining bruises and scratches. George Schwartz, who owns the barn, went down with the horses but escaped injury.
Frank McDermott of Jeffersonville was seriously injured in an accident in the engine room of a factory in Brooklyn.
Several Italians in Monticello were arrested and fined $25 last week for shooting robins which they used as broilers.
Binghamton contractors Parson and Jones have been given the contract for the new Liberty School. Their bid was $54,607 and was the lowest. The building will not be completed before next spring.
One of the swell events of the season was the first meeting of the Swiss Hill Bachelor Club on Sunday at Yager’s Grove. Ed C. Fuhrer, the club’s famous chef, prepared the dinner.
William H. Inderlied of the Town of Callicoon, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fuller at Kerhonkson July 28.
100 Years Ago - 1921
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. H. Schaefer on August 15th.
B. Urban of New York has sold his Pine Inn.
The three candidates who took the examination for appointment as postmaster were Fred W. Schadt, Luther Potts and Mrs. Edward F. Kohler.
A burning oil stove in the kitchen of Kisel Kamm, who bought the Townsend building opposite Ed Manny’s, brought out the fire department at 7 o’clock Monday evening. But by the time the firemen arrived the fire had already been put out.
The cold wave of the past week has kept the city guests indoors and put a damper on the summer business.
The engagement of Miss Harriet R. Nevin of Monticello to Walter Ward Kase of Newark has been announced.
Merel Scheidell and David Moran returned home last week from upstate where they were employed on a farm for a few weeks.
Miss Estella Hayes is spending the month of August with her mother, Mrs. C. Heidt at White Sulphur Springs.
Well driller Jacob Tayler has completed the artesian well of 150 feet and the well now has 130 feet of water in it.
William Fuhrer and Albert Heberter of the Laiman Homestead captured two young chicken hawks while at Shandelee and will take them to the Bronx Zoo.
90 Years Ago - 1931
The Sunday School of the First Lutheran Church of Jeffersonville will celebrate the seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization on Saturday and Sunday.
Attorney William Deckelman is building a cottage on Sacandaga Lake, thirty miles north of Saratoga, for a recreation camp for his family.
The 26x62 barn on the Billings Wagner farm on the North Branch-Callicoon Center Road was burned shortly after midnight last Sunday.
Ruth Viola, 8-month-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Ernst of Beechwoods, was christened by Pastor Foerester on Sunday.
A daughter was born on August 4 to Mr. and Mrs. Theodore C. Fresenius of the Bronx. The mother is the former Norma Breen of Jeffersonville.
A Livingston Manor gas station attendant ate two pieces of chocolate given him by strangers who stopped and got gas and drove away. The candy contained knockout drops and the gas man was knocked out for a while.
William Fritz and Milton Gabriel have purchased H.E. Weber’s plumbing business in Liberty and will conduct it at the present quarters.
Alpheus Townsend of Jeffersonville was elected the new county commander of the American Legion.
The Misses Ann and Alice Story of Nyack are guests for a week of Mrs. G. Abplanalp’s in Fosterdale.
80 Years Ago - 1941
Mr. and Mrs. Donald Ross of New York spent the week at the Ross cottage with his aunt, Mrs. Isabelle Ross Callahan of Brooklyn, who spends her summers here. Mrs. Ross is the former Olga Helene Romanoff, daughter of Grand Duke Michael and niece of Czar Nicholas of Russia.
Robert Ayers of Bullville, who is a member of the Jeffersonville Central School faculty, has been called into service.
When Johnny and Mary were little, Johnny loved soldiers and Mary loved painted dolls. Now Johnny loves painted dolls. (From Editor’s Corner.)
Miss Ethel A. Reum of Kenoza Lake and Jack W. Fisher of Beechwoods were married on August 9.
70 Years Ago - 1951
The public has been invited to an open house at the new Liberty Hospital located at Loomis Village to be held on August 12, from 2 to 4 p.m. Refreshments will be served by the Women’s Auxiliary. The Auxiliary is headed by Mrs. Chester Yager. Other officers are Mrs. Frank Griswold of Roscoe, vice president; Mrs. Elbron Hasbrouck of Liberty, secretary; and Mrs. Thelma Rose of Livingston Manor, treasurer.
The family of the late Luis DeHoyos of Monticello has announced that it is donating trophies in his memory for the best enrollment records by American Legion posts to be awarded annually.
The Town of Callicoon Democratic Club will hold its regular meeting at Temple Inn at Shandelee on August 9. Warren Ruppert is president.
Alfred E. Adler, real estate broker of Jeffersonville, reports the sale of the Horvath farm on the old Hankins road in Callicoon to Mr. and Mrs. William Stanton of Cedarhurst, L.I. It’s a 100-acre place with a nine-room house. Mrs. Stanton is the former Mildred Buddenhagen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Buddenhagen of Hortonville. She formerly taught school in the Petersburg School.
Over 300 attended the Tomcat Club dance on Legion Avenue in Jeff last night. About $150 was cleared according to Sam Cohen, president of the club. The money will be used to build dugouts at the Lions Field.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Abe Roth gave their mother a new Hudson Hornet for her birthday on July 26.
Since the school budget for 1951-52 was rejected by the voters of J-YCS, a special meeting has been called for August 13 to revote on the budget. No change has been made to expenses according to board members.
60 Years Ago - 1961
Six piers and the major portion of the abutment of the new Delaware River bridge are completed and ready for steel. Four large steel pipes, over which a gravel roadway has been built, make it possible for heavy machinery to move back and forth easily.
The Callicoon post office moved this week from a 108-year-old building, its home for 59 years, back to the building it occupied from 1897 to 1902. This was the fourteenth move for the local post office since 1849. Reuben Tyler, the first postmaster, set up quarters in a small building near what is now the Western Hotel. At that time there were less than half a dozen houses in the village, the residents picking up their mail at Cochecton. The new post office, set up as a result of the railroad’s completion, was named Callicoon Depot to avoid confusion with the village nine miles away called Callicoon. The name was not officially changed to Callicoon until 1906. Charles G. Curtis became postmaster in 1902, moving the office to the C.T. Curtis store. It remained in that building, the old William H. Curtis store, until this week. Over the years the post office has also been located near where the Arden Theater (Callicoon Theater) now stands, to the Curtis store near the town bridge (until the new store of William H. Curtis was built). It has also been in the Dycker store (where the drug store now stands – in 2001 the location of Michele’s Restaurant) to the building where Wagner’s Restaurant (Lisa’s Autumn Inn) now stands to the Starck store. The Great Fire of 1888 burned that building, but Starck saved the post office equipment. He set up temporary quarters in the Callicoon House, while he rebuilt his store. Shifting national politics returned the office to the Dycker store, then back to the Starck store. In 1897, President McKinley appointed Arthur Eickhoff, who moved the office to his store in the building (the Kelley Building – 2001, it is the home of Southwest Treasures and IOU Thrift Shop) to which the post office moved this week. William Bergner is the present postmaster.
Miss Ruth Ann Fulton and Edward P. Mootz were married on August 6 in the First Presbyterian Church in Jeff.
Miss Lillian Weyer of Callicoon and Gordon Bult were married August 6 in the North Branch Methodist Church… Miss Barbara Hick of Callicoon and John P. Wiley were married at the Holy Cross Church, Callicoon, last Saturday… Hazel Day of Equinunk and Thomas E. Rockefeller of Hancock were married at the Union Methodist Church on July 29.
Mrs. Caroline Duryea of Monticello observed her 99th birthday last Friday.
Arnold Boyance of Massapequa, L.I., received attention for contusions at the Monticello Hospital after his hydroplane was runover by another hydroplane in one of the Sunday afternoon races at Starlight Lake. Two other boats in the mishap sank but were recovered.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Burkhardt of Mileses were honored on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary on Friday evening with a gathering at Phil’s Corners.
50 years ago - 1971
The 2 1/2 story house at Harris, owned by Peter and David Effel and occupied by Paul and Dyhanne Effel, was completely destroyed by fire at midnight Thursday.
Descendants of 12 original moths are expected to destroy about 1 million acres of trees in 11 eastern states this year. In 1869, Prof. Leopold Trouvelot imported a dozen gypsy moths from France into Medford, Mass., in hopes of breeding them with silkworms and getting rich. The moths got away.
Town of Fallsburg Supervisor Milton Levine will receive the Torch of Liberty Award of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith at a dinner to be held at Grossinger’s on August 26.
In a budget hearing and vote on August 5, taxpayers in the Delaware Valley Central School District took until almost 3 a.m. Friday to pass the basic budget and the Proposition II which contained funds for books and supplies. Proposition I, which carried funds for transportation and cafeteria, was defeated by a vote of 222 to 216. Proposition II was for band uniforms and coaching salaries and interscholastic sports. It was defeated by a vote of 286 to 149.
A century of service will be celebrated when St. Joseph’s R.C. Church of Rileyville, PA., has its 100th anniversary on Sunday. The original church, erected in 1871 still serves as the body of the present church.
At the Liberty-Loomis Hospital it was a girl to Mr. and Mrs. Kyreakos Dourvetakis of Woodbourne, Aug. 1, and a boy the same day to Mr. and Mrs. Harold Smith of Liberty; a boy, August 3, to Mr. and Mrs. William Roser of Livingston Manor; a boy, August 4, to Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Didrich of Livingston Manor; a boy, August 4, to Mr. and Mrs. David Young of Liberty; and a boy to Mr. and Mrs. Harold McKeighan of Parksville. On August 5, it was a girl to Mr. and Mrs. Dadwin Bivins of Liberty.
40 Years Ago - 1981
Congressman Matt McHugh (D-27) has informed the Village of Liberty that he will participate in the ground-breaking ceremonies for the Barkley Garden Senior Citizens Housing Project on August 19.
George Haag became an Eagle Scout in 1930 as a member of Troop 46 on Staten Island. His sons, George C., Matthew and Mark, became Eagles with Troop 46 in the 1950s and now his grandson, Kenneth, son of George C., is an Eagle Scout with Troop 187 of Grahamsville. Ken became an Eagle at the age of 13 this year… Tim and Pat Higgins may be the only twins in Sullivan County who are both Eagle Scouts. They are the sons of Tom and Theresa Higgins (the organizers behind the Eagle Recognition Day held recently) and became Eagles in 1978 at the age of 16, in Troop 187 in Grahamsville.
Thirty-six miles is a long way to walk but on Saturday twenty-eight long distance travelers covered the distance by running. Only one dropped out before the end of the course. Bill Peck of Eldred finished 23rd.
30 Years Ago - 1991
After voicing some reservations, Village of Monticello officials this week approved the opening of a community residence for eight developmentally disabled individuals in the village. New Hope Community of Loch Sheldrake plans to purchase an existing home at 17 York Avenue for individuals now being served by New Hope.
The SPCA shelter at Rock Hill reopened on August 1 and is accepting stray dogs and cats once again.
The grand opening of M&M Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac and M&M Jeep Eagle was held Saturday at 131 Mill Street in Liberty. Marcia and Marty Braunstein are the owners and their son, Howard, is the general manager.
Arlyn Ray Milk of Goulds observed his 100th birthday on August 9. Mike and Kim Darder hosted a celebration in honor of his grandfather, with about 250 guests attending. Arlyn’s grandparents, David and Lucinda Neer Milk migrated to this area, then known as South Woods in the Town of Hancock, from Schoharie County in 1847 and were one of the earliest settlers in the area.
As of Wednesday night, officials of the 129th Wayne County Fair estimated that 37,000 had attended the annual event due to perfect weather for the first five days. Among the many attractions at the fair were the Joie Chitwood Chevy Thunder Show, appearing for the seventh consecutive year.
The Eddie Collins 10th annual tournament will be held at Collins Park in Mongaup Valley August 9-11.
The Callicoon Kiwanis Club held its fourth annual tournament July 29, raising more than $2,800 to benefit the youth of the area.
20 Years Ago - 2001
Emma Cooke Chase (1869-1944) received the History Maker 2001 Award, while Mary Edith Curtis garnered the History Preserver 2001 Award at the Sullivan County Historical Society’s annual dinner meeting and achievement awards ceremony Sunday night at the Eldred Preserve.
Frank Ryder, an American Red Cross volunteer and resident of Sullivan County, brought his 50 years experience as an Army mess sergeant and emergency services canteen operator into play recently when he volunteered to staff a new Red Cross mass-care vehicle in Baton Rouge, Louisiana during the Tropical Storm Allison relief effort.
Colan and Catherine Keator of Swan Lake have announced the engagement of their daughter, Anne Elisabeth Keator, to Geoffrey Governor, both of Webster. He is the son of Graham and Claire Dickson of Wolcott. A September 2003 wedding is planned.
Jennifer Young, daughter of Robert and Marlene Young of Huron, S.D., and Samuel Zieres, son of Emily Zieres of Huron, S.D., and the late Kenneth Zieres of Hortonville, were united in marriage on Saturday, May 19, 2001 in Huron, S.D.
Mr. and Mrs. Paul Gatta of Liberty announce the engagement of their daughter, Lori Ann, to Geoffrey Passehl, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Passehl III of Stratford, N.J. An October 13, 2001 wedding is planned at the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul in Philadelphia, PA.
Sid and Doris Royce of Bethel announce the engagement of their daughter, Jennifer Lee, to Danny Kay Medley II, son of Danny Kay and Barbara Medley of Warrensville, N.C. A May 4, 2002 wedding is planned.
10 Years Ago - 2011
In May of 2011, Vincent J. Leone, of Suffern, was stopped by the Sheriff’s Patrol on Route 17B in the Town of Bethel when the rental vehicle he was operating swerved. Leone was arrested for Driving While Ability Impaired by drugs and found to be in possession of a large quantity of narcotic pills and several hypodermic needles. As Leone was taken to the Sheriff’s Office in Monticello to be fingerprinted, he managed to dive out a first floor window while waiting to be processed and ran towards Bank Street where he eluded pursuing deputies by hiding in a basement, locking the door behind him, stealing clothes and then confronted by a lawyer within an office in the building. When confronted, Leone was asked to leave. He then found the attorney’s 2007 Lexus running in the driveway, jumped in and headed east bound 17B. Leone was chased by deputies to Exit 113 in Wurtsboro, traveling a short distance on Route 209 before running the car off the road and ultimately captured.
Since its earliest pre-American Revolution days in Callicoon, the Curtis family have called Callicoon home. After 250 years, the last of the “blood” members will leave Callicoon for a retirement home in Maryland. Mary Curtis, a straight-talking, compact little woman with a ready laugh and bright brown eyes, will pack up her laptop with its tales of eight generations of Callicoon characters and head south. Her distant forebears go back to Moses Thomas, one of Callicoon’s pioneers, who arrived in the area from Connecticut in the 1700s and died during an Indian raid in 1763.
Coach Cate Dill is pedaling a message of physical fitness. Taking a leave of absence from her job as a physical education teacher in Sudbury, Mass., Dill is on a bicycling adventure started on Feb. 1 in Santa Barbara, California, traveling about 4,800 miles and averageing about 50 miles a day. Along the way she has stopped at area schools to talk to children about staying physically fit and healthy eating habits.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here