Log in Subscribe
Down the Decades

July 18, 2023 Edition

Compiled by Lee Hermann, Muse, & Ruth Huggler
Posted 7/18/23

130 Years Ago - 1893

Roscoe was the only place in Sullivan County which had a real celebration on the Fourth this year.

At the Callicoon Center Schuetzen Verein match on July 4, the prizes …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in
Down the Decades

July 18, 2023 Edition


130 Years Ago - 1893

Roscoe was the only place in Sullivan County which had a real celebration on the Fourth this year.

At the Callicoon Center Schuetzen Verein match on July 4, the prizes for marksmanship were awarded as follows: 1st prize, Balser Urban, silver caster; 2nd, Joseph Kitz, pickle dish; 3rd, John Bohl, silver spoons; 4th, Adam Neumann, Meerschaum pipe; 5th, Jay Gould, spoons; 6th, Andrew Yager, set of knives; 7th, Frank Brey, pair of slippers.

E.A. Brand gave a “stag” party to a few of his German friends last Friday night.

Andrew Abplanalp of Youngsville who recently completed a new ballroom, is having a little hop one night each week.

The German M.E. Sunday School picnic will be held in Union Park on August 9.

The following hotels and boarding houses publish a list of guests: Mansion House, Eagle Hotel, William Krantz, James Robisch, Simon Diehl and Louis Mall.

Charles Himmelreich is having a turbine wheel placed in his Youngs-ville Mill.

John Schlagel, who had been engaged in the trucking business with Charles Durr, has sold his stock of truck horses in the city and moved to Youngsville with his wife.

120 Years Ago - 1903

The new improved store of J.J. Sarles Co. at Liberty opened to the public last Thursday night. The place was brilliantly illuminated for inspection and a band of musicians was present.

Mr. and Mrs. S.R. Spriggs and child of Livingston Manor have gone to Point Barrow, Alaska, where they will remain for five years. Mr. and Mrs. Spriggs have spent three years in Alaska as missionaries.

Miss Ada Messinger, who taught school the past term at Greenwood Lake, returned home last week.

The Callicoon Center Scheutzen Verein held a prize shooting on the 4th. The members formed in line at the hotel at 10 o’clock and, headed by the Columbia Band, marched to the shooting grounds on John Mootz’s flats, where they shot during the day. Prizes were given out as follows: 1st, John Maulick; 2nd, Ed Hahn; 3rd, Andrew Yager; 4th, George Wey-rauch; 5th, George Klinger; 6th, Peter Dessecker; 7th, Peter Mootz; 8th, John Hauser; 9th, Charles Kautz; 10th, Peter Will; 11th, John Urban; 12th, George Bohl; 13th, William Klinger; 14th, Clarence Van Wagner; 15th, William Bilger; 16th, George Tempel; and 17th, Valentine Hessinger.

110 Years Ago - 1913

Dr. A.H. Schonger of North Branch, health officer of the Town of Callicoon, has also been appointed health officer for the Town of Fremont. When school opens he must visit every pupil for skin and other diseases.

Wesley Hardenburgh of White Sulphur Springs reported representing several local and city newspapers, had coasted his motorcycle to the bottom of the O’Bryan hill and was looking down at his motor to see it take the clutch. When he looked up he saw the Ford car driven by Wm. McMurray approaching him not far ahead, and as Wesley was on the left side of the road, he at once shot over to the right. McMurray, the auto driver, had started to cross to the left, and seeing the motorcycle cut across, he gave a quick turn to avoid a collision. The sudden swerving of his car threw it off the road and on the stone wall where it overturned. Three men in the rear seat were thrown clear. The driver and another man were pinned under the car. One man who had been in the rear seat was injured.

The Laurel Hill Dairy has been established in Jeffersonville, in conjunction with the Sullivan County Creamery Co., for the purpose of supplying the people of this community with good milk, cream, butter, pot cheese and lacto buttermilk. Fred W. Schadt is manager.

Wm. B. Cochran, an old resident and former wood mill operator at Roscoe, was buried from his home there Sunday afternoon under the auspices of the Callicoon Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Jeffersonville. The Masonic service was given at the grave by Past Master Valentine Scheidell. Mr. Cochran, whose age was 78, was one of the early members of the Callicoon Lodge having joined in 1865 when the lodge was located at Callicoon Center.

The will of Osmer E. Inderlied of Youngsville, probated last week, leaves all his estate estimated at $15,000 real and $5,000 personal, to his wife, Geneva C.

100 Years Ago - 1923

Rev. John E. Straub of Callicoon Center has passed the New York Civil Service examination for inspector of weights and measures in the State Department of Farms and Markets. The position pays $1200 to $1500 a year.

Mrs. Josiah Smith of Liberty, 85 years of age and blind, had the misfortune to fall and break her arm and fracture her collarbone one day recently. She was a former longtime resident of Jeffersonville where her husband conducted a store.

Fire started in the old Miliken building on West Broadway in Monticello yesterday afternoon about 3 o’clock, spreading eastward on the north side of the street where eight stores were burned out. It stopped at the new Pelton building where the big fire of a few years ago stopped.

William LeRoy Sr., of Jeffersonville, has purchased the Gulshard property in Youngsville and will take possession immediately.

Frank P. and Charles A. Justin of Alabama were visitors of their cousin, Mrs. John Wolff in Jeffersonville, Sunday. These brothers left Kenoza Lake, or Pike Pond as it was then called, shortly after the Civil War, going to Alabama and after a lapse of 56 years have come back to visit their relatives and see their old home. Their father, Peter J. Justin, was one of the pioneers of Pike Pond where he ran a blacksmith shop as early as 1841, and lived in the house now known as the Edgemere. In 1867 the family moved to Alabama.

90 Years Ago - 1933

Frank Zuck, who now owns the former V. Schmidt property in Delaware, has bought of Sarah Lewin the Pine Inn property adjoining the Zuck property on speculation. The Pine Inn property was formerly the farm of Philip Erdman Sr., later owned by Philip Mathern, who built the Inn.

Edward T. Tonissen, former Re-pub-lican committeeman of Jeffersonville, seems to be pulling a pretty good stroke with the Democratic state of North Carolina. The other day he was appointed by Governor Ehringhaus to the position of railroad expert of the North Carolina Railroad with a salary of $1800 and very little work to do. Eddie is faring well since he left Republican Sullivan County and hooked up with the Democratic South.

80 Years Ago - 1943

Gerald Hick, who was employed in Connecticut, is now in Los Angeles.

The engagement of Lawrence Kabat of Fosterdale and Miss Agnes Dacat of Savannah Ga., has been announced.

Rose Brownstein, late of the Jeffersonville school faculty, has arrived at the Fourth Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps training center to begin basic training.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, July 5 — Second Lieut. Basil L. Hick of Jeffersonville, now stationed at the air depot training station of the Army Air Forces has been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, the ADFD public relations office announced today. Lt. Hick, who is a chemical warfare officer, is a graduate of Jeffersonville High School and Syracuse University.

Mrs. William J. O’Donnell, the former Mildred Schaefer, died suddenly Sunday morning, July 11, of a heat affliction.

Harold Deutsch has sold the Linderman farm of 49 acres to Martin Jauernik. The farm has been in the Linderman family since 1863, when they bought it of Will Benedict.

Only 31 voters attended the annual school meeting here last Thursday night. A budget of $97,609 was voted, $24,219 of this must be raised by tax.

Mrs. Richard VanLoan of White Sulphur Springs announces the en-gagement of her daughter, Althea, to Pvt. Earl Sander, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Sander Jr., of Youngsville.

70 Years Ago - 1953

Libby Manzolillo boxes at Eastern Parkway on Monday night. His opponent is a lightweight from Puerto Rico and it will be a six round match. Libby hopes some of his Jeffersonville friends will be at the ringside to see him.

The village of Jeffersonville was aroused at 1:45 this morning by the sounding of the fire alarm. The firemen responded to find Joe Schwartz’s automobile on fire. The auto was parked on the home grounds and presumably it was caused by a short circuit. On the arrival of the fire equipment, the auto was a mass of flames and beyond relief from the firemen.

John Naylor, 77, for many years a Bethel undertaker, died at his home Saturday afternoon after a long illness.

Miss Betsy Behling, pretty eighteen-year-old Queen of the Narrowsburg Centennial, will be enthroned on the royal float following the West Point Band in the old-time street parade which ushers in the week-long celebration on Sunday, July 26th.

Mrs. Avery Robinson, better known to the people of Jeffersonville by her maiden name, Eleanor Van Tuyl, a former science teacher in the Central School, is vacationing with her two children in Bethel at the home of her aunt, Mrs. William Neiman. She will be remembered by many of the people of Jeffersonville as a popular and competent teacher.

The hotel and boarding houses were filled beyond capacity over the holiday weekend. Additional rooms in private homes were used to sleep the surplus.

George Menges, who has been a patient in Medical Center, New York City, returned to his home in Youngsville, but is still under the doctor’s care.

Mr. and Mrs. Richard Schnibbe of Kenoza Lake, entertained Mr. and Mrs. Walter Plott of Port Richmond, S.I., on Monday in honor of the Plott’s anniversary and Mrs. Plott’s birthday.

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Miller of Patterson, N.J., are visiting at the home of his brother, Ernest at Hortonville. They also came to see his sister, Mrs. Mae Keim.

Barbara Greis is vacationing at the home of her cousin, William Forsbach.

60 Years Ago - 1963

Funeral services were held at the Laidlaw Funeral Home in Liberty on July 10 for Archibald F. Armstrong, retired Sullivan County treasurer. Familiarly known as “Arch” he was known in every part of the area and his office, while county treasurer, was a model of efficiency.

Announcement has been made of the engagement of Amy Lou Kelly of Danbury, Conn., to Albert C. Stagl, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert F. Stagl of Kenoza Lake.

Mr. and Mrs. Francis Feigenbutz of Hankins were pleasantly surprised on the occasion of their 25th wedding anniversary with a buffet luncheon and enjoyable evening, held at the Hankins House on June 29.

Construction of a new post office building in Callicoon was further advanced today with the announcement that a contract had been awarded to Alexander P. Kueller of New Jersey.

50 Years Ago - 1973

Mrs. Leota Hermann of Callicoon was elected to the office of guard at the Department of New York VFW convention held in Buffalo June 27-30. She will also serve as the Cancer Aid and Research Chairman for the department this year. Mrs. Agnes Steinberg, a member of Auxiliary 9588, Monticello, will serve as the state hospital chairman.

The Sullivan County Democratic Executive Committee unanimously endorsed Milton Levine for the newly created Supreme Court judgeship at a meeting held at Grossinger’s Tuesday evening.

American Indians of about 20 tribes will gather for a Pow-Wow on July 14 and 15 at Indianland, a 23-acre mini-reservation on Route 55 between Eldred and Barryville in Sullivan County. This will be the eighth annual such event for the members of the Indian League of the Americas at the same location.

Department of Transportation workers are busy repairing damaged roadbeds and bridges after last week’s floods. The scene of much of the action is in the Rock Valley section.

Harry Knight of Rock Valley will go to West Point on July 2nd to begin a career there. He graduated Saturday from Delaware Valley Central School.

The 194th year of the Battle of Minisink will be observed on July 22. Mr. Kenneth Hasbrouck, distinguished Ulster County historian, will be the speaker. Donald Clark, historian of Orange County, anticipates the participation again this year of the Cornwall Continentals and their venerable flint--lock guns.

40 Years Ago - 1983

Dawn Frazier of the Yulan Fire Department was selected as the queen of the Narrowsburg parade. Runners-up were Debbie Drollinger, representing the Lava Fire Department, Cathy Barnes, sponsored by the Narrowsburg Fire Department, and Laura Vanatta, representing the Cochecton-Lake Huntington Fire Department.

Plans are underway to honor Lazare Kaplan, distinguished Rotary member of Livingston Manor, and an internationally famous diamond cutter and diamond merchant, on his 100th birthday this month. A dinner will be sponsored by the Livingston Manor Rotary.

Huge crowds turned out for 4th of July events in the county: Heritage Day in Wurtsboro; a barbecue in Hankins; street fair in Roscoe; and the “granddaddy of them all parade” in Narrowsburg.

Rita Catherine Meyer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Meyer of Mileses, was married to Jeremiah O’Neil of Hazlet, N.J., on May 21... Janis M. Rapenske, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry G. Rapenske of Liberty, and Dwight Willman of Columbia, Md., were married May 28 in an outside ceremony... Corinne Peters, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Burgess Peters of Youngsville, was married to Brian Scott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Scott of Parksville... Erna Townsend of White Sulphur Springs and Edward Adams of Michigan, were married July 3 in White Sulphur Springs... Sherry Lee Laarmann, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Laarmann of Narrowsburg became the bride of Peter Thomas of Westfield, N.J., on June 11... Nancy Lee Neer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Neer of Jeffersonville RD was married to Donald Sherwood, son of Leona and Clarence Sherwood of Livingston Manor, on May 7.

Thomas Callihan, superintendent of the water and sewer department for the Town of Thompson, was recently honored for overall excellence in wastewater treatment plant operations by the NY Water Pollution Control Association at a dinner held at Kutsher’s Country Club.

The House of Representatives recently approved the spending of $1 million to finance necessary repairs to the Roebling Delaware Aqueduct Bridge between Minisink Ford and Lackawaxen, Pa., which was a forerunner of Roebling’s Brooklyn Bridge in New York City.

30 years ago - 1993

To protect its 1,900 square miles watershed, the largest in the world, the City of New York is planning to buy an additional $155 million worth of forestland – most of it along streams and other environmentally sensitive areas in Sullivan, Ulster, Delaware, Greene and other counties that comprise the city’s watershed in the next seven years. All told, the city plans to add 70,000 acres to the thousands it already owns to prevent its reservoirs from being polluted by remote sources in the early part of the 20th century.

Since 1902, the Narrowsburg Fire Department has put on an annual Fourth of July celebration that revels in its small town Americana feel. This year, the 91st such celebration was somewhat marred when the Long Island fireworks outfit failed to show with their explosive show Sunday night due to a vehicle breakdown. To top that off, the crowd had to wait for the parade to begin when the Narrowsburg Fire Department was called out to an ironically-timed emergency call. Despite all these set-backs, once started, the celebration lived up to its usual hours of entertainment which included a beauty contest between representatives of various fire companies and field day activities. Jennifer Radtke, representing the Yulan Fire Department, was named winner of the beauty queens.

The new Town of Bethel Park was dedicated Monday with about 75 people gathered on the property located off Route 55 on the Old White Lake Turnpike.

Engraved bells in recognition of 20 years of teaching at the Delaware Valley Central School were presented to Dan Darder, Carole Krantz, Jacalyn Robisch, Emaline Newton and Roy Sebastiano. An “Eagle Award” was presented to several members of the staff, including Donald Cooper, bus driver; Sherilyn Zona, 4th grade teacher; Regina Meyer, cafeteria worker; Ricky Layton, custodian and coach; and Michael Moss, librarian.

Julie Smith and Chris Green were chosen female and male athletes of the year at the Livingston Manor Central School’s sports award banquet. Smith earned an honorable mention on the Western Sullivan League soccer all-star team and Green was named to the first team WSL all-star in basketball and baseball.

Monticello Police Chief Walter Ramsay will retire next month. He joined the Monticello Police Department in 1966 and became chief in 1987.

Richie Havens, an opening act at the 1969 Woodstock Festival, played at two sold-out shows Saturday night at the Harmonie Hall in the Western Hotel in Callicoon.

Eleven Sullivan County youths attended the NYS Sheriff’s Association camp at Camp Iroquois in Penn Yan this week.

20 Years Ago - 2003

New York State Assemblyman Jacob Edward Gunther III of Forestburgh died Wednesday, July 9, 2003 after a short illness. He was 50 years of age. The son of Jacob and Betty Gunther, he was born June 11, 1953 in Middletown. He is survived by his wife, Aileen, their three children: Mary, Jacob IV, and Caitlin, his parents, two brothers and sisters-in-law, his in-laws, 16 nieces and nephews, three cousins, one aunt and numerous dear friends. Gunther was tireless and a proud advocate for his constituents. Hundreds turned out for his wake, and a crowd of over 600 filled the First Presbyterian Church for Gunther’s funeral that was held on Sunday, July 13 in Middletown. 

Liberty native Bill Heller was back in his hometown July 5th to sign copies of his 15th book, one very different from the horseracing-related novels he’s authored in the past. The question of nuclear ethics is at the forefront of this author’s mind and is the subject of his newest book, “A Good Day Has No Rain,” which details the events surrounding a radioactive rainstorm in Troy, New York.

Callicoon Creek Park will pay host to a meeting of the “bards” Saturday, with traditional songwriters and poets coming in from around the world to share their craft.

The village of Woodridge will hold its annual Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, July 20.

Four generations of the Hayes family gathered to celebrate the graduations of Ada Hayes Cole and Jack Hayes from Marist College. Dana Cole Delfino, Colleen Cole Gudehus and son Garrett, Ada Hayes, Ada Cole and William Cole were all in attendance. It was the first trip East from California for 7-month-old Garrett Gudehus, who helped his mother surprise his graduating “Nana,” Ada Cole.

10 Years Ago - 2013

The Liberty CSD Wall of Fame induction of Dr. Glenn Zurawski was made on graduation day. The only inductee this year, Dr. Glenn Zurawski was honored for numerous accomplishments during a career and life cut short in March, 2012. These include his unrelenting dedication to serving his patients, blazing new trails in neo-natal anesthesiology techniques and opening the first pain control clinic in the San Francisco Bay area in California.

The fifth annual Cochecton Day on the Lake with the Lake Huntington Fire Department featured car and tractor parades, vendors, bouncy castle, pony rides, live music and a chicken barbecue to round off the day. The recent heat wave eased up for the day with some showers and cooler weather allowing for a more comfortable family day.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here